What Are the 7 Emirates Of The UAE?

There are 7 emirates in United Arab Emirates (UAE). Each Emirate is governed by an absolute monarchy known as an emir, and each emirate has a high level of autonomy over its own affairs. The UAE was established in 1971 and has become one of the world’s leading economies since then.

7 Emirates Of The UAE

The Seven Emirates of UAE

The capital of the UAE is Abu Dhabi, and it is also the largest emirate by area. The other six emirates are Dubai, Ajman, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah and Umm Al Quwain.

UAE is an acronym for the United Arab Emirates.

Abu Dhabi (Abu Zaby)

Dubai (Dubayy)

Sharjah (Ash Shariqah)

Ajman (Umm Al Qaywayn)

Umm Al Quwain (Umm Al Quwain)

Ras Al Khaimah (Ra’s Al Khaymah)


Abu Dhabi is the largest emirate by both area and population. It comprises 87% of the total landmass of the UAE, while the other six emirates make up just 13%. The ruler of Abu Dhabi is also the president of the UAE and holds significant influence over the country’s affairs.

Dubai is famous for its tourism, luxury shopping, and world-class infrastructure. It is home to the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa, which reaches 2,717 feet into the sky. Dubai International Airport serves as a major hub for international travel to and from Asia and Africa.

Sharjah, which means “the eastern part”, is a city on the coast with a population of over 800,000 people. It has always been one of the most important cities in the UAE and it was also known as Ash Shariqah by locals who lived there before the 1930s when they realized it would be better if they called themselves something else instead.

Sharjah is known as “the cultural capital of the UAE,” which means that it has a reputation for being a bit more traditional than other emirates—for example, alcohol isn’t allowed in Sharjah, and women are expected to dress modestly. However, it’s embraced modernity wholeheartedly when it comes to technology—at least one Emirati school has replaced textbooks with tablet computers.

Ajman, Umm Al Qaywayn, Ras Al Khaimah, and Umm Al Quwain all have populations that range from 200-500 thousand inhabitants. These four states are known collectively as The Northern Emirates because they are located near each other on an island off the coast of Dubai called Das Island. The third most populous city in Ajman is also known as “the garden city” because it has many green parks. Its economy is based on commerce, trade, and manufacturing—it hosts one of the largest ports in the Gulf region.

Fujeirah is also known as Fujairah Arabic: فجيرة‎), and it’s the capital city, Fujeira City (Arabic: مدينة فجيرة‎) which has been continuously occupied since prehistoric times due to its strategic position along the Gulf Coast trade route from Mesopotamia into India.”

Ras Al Khaimah is packed with natural beauty—it has dense mangrove forests, crystal-clear waters for snorkeling and diving, and even skiing on one of its mountains. This emirate has a reputation as being one of the most beautiful places in all of the UAE—the mountains here are breathtakingly gorgeous!

Umm al-Quwain is known as “Mother of the Emirates”, for its pivotal role in the formation of the seven emirates that now make up the UAE and plays a vital role in providing healthcare, education, and the most advanced infrastructure to the population. Umm Al Quwain—it’s an oasis of tranquility surrounded by lush palm trees and beautiful landscapes. If seclusion and relaxation are what you seek, then you can’t get much better than this 798-hectare Emirate.


There are seven Emirates in the UAE, each with a different name. Abu Dhabi and Dubai make up the biggest emirates in terms of landmass and population, while Ajman and Sharjah are the smallest. Despite this, each one is equally important to the culture of the United Arab Emirates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *